The aim of the Association was – beyond creating a museum relating to Lake Balaton – to raise “the cult of Lake Balaton” and collect and present the historical, geographic, natural historical, ethnographic and “cottage industrial” memories of “Lake Balaton region”. The association fulfilled one of its main missions till 1928 – to build up the building of Balaton Museum based on Dénes György's plans. The museum united with Darnay Museum, in Sümeg, thus became one of the most diverse regional museums in Hungary. During world war II. the most valuable works of art of the museum were destroyed because of bombs. Only 15 percent of the artworks survived. The museum was nationalized in 1949. Its independence came to an end when the County Museum Organization was founded in 1962. The institution was attached to Museum Directorate of Veszprém County. In consequence of the county reorganization the museum
lost its staging area on the southern shore of Lake Balaton. Then the museum's staging area covered only Keszthely, Sümeg and Tapolca. Keszthely area was attached to Zala County in 1979. Hence the institution became the member institution of Museum Directorate of Zala County. The County Museum Organization came to an end. Balaton Museum is administered by Keszthely since the 1st of January 2013 therefore it became independent again.